Thursday, October 9, 2008

Blankets 1-2

I really enjoyed the first two chapters of Blankets. The art is very different from the panels of Funhome. In this book shadows are used quite a bit more and it gives some pieces of the art a very dark feel. Considering what occurs in the first few scenes I'm not surprised that this book was drawn this way. What their father did was tremendously cruel. When I saw that their babysitter was molesting them I was quite shocked. At times the drawings have a very sketch-like feel. Also Thompson breaks away from the use of traditional panels when he's with Raina, I like the feel it has because of the moment-to-moment transfers that are there without the use of "the gutters" as McCloud called them. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of this book and have already gone a bit ahead.

No comments: